About Primland Resort
What is Primland?
Primland is a beautiful mountain resort in Meadows Of Dan. It was founded by the members of a thriving lumber company. It has golf, a full spa, hunting, and lots of hiking and fishing. BUT, how many resorts do you know that also have an observatory! Every night, the Astronomy staff and I give tours of the stars and constellations visible in the night sky!
Why build an observatory?The resort has over 12,000 acres of space and is built on a high hill as you can see. On a clear day, you can see all the way down to the mountains of Mount Airy. With so much privately owned land, there’s no traffic lights or store lights for miles. This means that the resort has incredibly low light pollution, the ideal conditions for stargazing. The Primat family spent half a million dollars to create a beautiful observatory inside the resort (below)
The Astronomy Program
- Our program allows you to see the heavens both indoors inside the dome of our observatory, and outdoors looking at the beautiful clear skies over Primland. We offer two programs, Star Walks, and the Tour of the Universe (TOU).
- Star Walks are 30 minute programs where we take our guests into the Observatory and let them sit comfortably while they gaze at images on our 14″ Celestron telescope, which we then project for them on the two HDTVs that we set up in the dome.
- Since the telescope is designed for looking at objects in deep space, we typically look at galaxies, nebulae, and star clusters.
- If you want to book a reservation, you can call 866-673-7802. Please book by 5pm on the day you’d like to have your Star Walk.
- In the event of inclement weather, we typically cancel Star Walks, but if you wish, we can give you a “virtual tour” where we show you images captured by our telescope, and explain their significance.
Tour Of the Universe
- For a first-class view of the stars, you can book a Tour of the Universe, a more extended program that typically lasts one to two hours. This program begins with a tour outside of the visible constellations and planets. We also do some planet gazing with a smaller, 11″ telescope.
- After you tour the stars with your naked eyes, we take you up to the dome to see them up-close and personal. Our program indoors shows you the whole life cycle of stars- birth, life, and eventually death. We cover everything from Star-Forming Nebulae to Black Holes.
- Every show is unique but average length is 1.5 to 2 hours. For special accommodations, please request in advance to Scott Martin, the head of our department: email@example.com.
Hope you can join us sometime soon!